- What personal information we collect and how?
- How do we use this information?
- How do we share and disclose information to third parties?
- Storing and protecting your personal information
- Using cookies and other technologies
- Marketing communications
- Legal rights and managing your privacy
- Contact us for more support
We may amend this notice from time to time to keep it up to date with legal requirements and the way we operate our Group. Please regularly check these pages for the latest version of this notice.
We may collect information about you when you:
- Register with us (either online or through any other medium)
- Attend Scouting events or activities
- Use our website(s)
- Contact us in any manner
We gather various types of information, including information that identifies you and young people as individuals ('personal information') that will fall within one of the following categories:
- Your name, address and how to contact you
- Sensitive personal data such as medical, dietary and religious custom information collected temporarily for specific events and activities
- Technical information, collected automatically through your interaction with our website(s), and can include your IP address, device type, what time you visited our website
- Communication information we capture through your interaction with us via email, instant messaging and other sources
We will only collect, use and share your personal information where we are satisfied that we have an appropriate legal basis to so.
We will use the information we collect for one or more of the following purposes:
- To manage your relationship with us
- To know how to best communicate with you
- Activity management including but not limited to scouting events and fundraising
- Seeking your consent when we need it
- Billing and invoicing
- Keeping our records up to date
- To develop our activities and events
- To develop our website
- To administer our website which including troubleshooting and data analysis
- To improve our website so that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your devices
- To improve the website by analysing usage of the website
- Crime prevention and detection
- To investigate and prevent illegal activities
- To comply with regulatory requirements
We share your information in the manner and for the purposes described below:
- Between Section Leaders and specific members of the Group where such disclosure is necessary to provide you with the events and activities we offer
- With third parties who help us manage our events and activities, such as at camp where specific consent will be obtained from you to collect the required information for the event or activity. These third parties have agreed to confidentiality restrictions and use any personal information we share with them or which they collect on our behalf solely for the purpose of providing the event or activity to us. These include IT service providers who manage our website(s)
- Disclosures to law enforcement agencies: Under certain circumstances, we may be required to disclose your personal information in response to valid requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements
We use appropriate security measures to protect any information we hold in our records from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. Unfortunately, no charity, company or service can guarantee complete security. Unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors, may compromise the security of user information at any time. If such incidents occur they will be managed within the guidelines of the legislation in force at the time.
We will store your personal information for as long as is reasonably necessary for the purposes for which it was collected, as explained in this notice. For example young person and parent information will be kept whilst they are members of the Group and for the remainder of the year after they have left or 6 months, whichever is longer, specific consent will be sought for any longer period. Financial information (e.g. Gift Aid) will be kept for as long as dictated by HMRC or other official bodies, generally 6 years.
Among other practices, any online account with us is protected by a password for your privacy and security. You must prevent unauthorized access to your account and personal information by selecting and protecting your password appropriately and limiting access to your computer or device and browser by signing off after you have finished accessing your account.
- Website Session cookies are temporary and will expire at the end of a browser session; that is, when you leave a website. Session cookies allow a website to recognize you and carry information as you navigate between pages during a single browser session and allow you to use the website most efficiently.
- Website Persistent cookies, in contrast, remain in the Cookie file of your browser even after you leave a website and after the browser is closed. They enable a website to recognize you upon your return, remember your preferences and provide tailored services to you.
A cookie will not contain information that will enable us to contact you via telephone, e-mail, or other means.
- Supporting you in being able to personalise the site, for example, selecting a language
- Analysing how you use the site in order for us to be able to change the website for the better. This includes tracking page views, time and date of access, identiying your device and browser (but not information about your machine or programs and data on it). Please note any such cookie usage is completely anonymous
- Helping you in logging in and using any services, such as shopping carts
Third Party websites
Control your Cookie settings
Most browsers are initially set to accept cookies. However, you have the ability to change your browser settings. It may also be possible to configure your browser settings to enable acceptance of specific cookies or to notify you each time a new cookie is about to be stored on your device enabling you to decide whether to accept or reject the cookie. You can also disable cookies by configuring your browser setting to reject cookies. Please refer to the help section of your browser for instructions on disabling cookies. For more information about cookies, how they work, why they are so useful and how to disable them, you can visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
If you do not wish to accept cookies from our website(s), please either disable them or refrain from using our website. If cookies are disabled, it may mean that you experience reduced functionality or will be prevented from using all or part of our website.
We may use personal information to let you know about scouting events and activities that we believe will be of interest to you, including those at other local Scout Groups, District, National and Global Scouting levels. We may contact you by email, post, or telephone or through other appropriate communication channels that we think you may find helpful. In all cases, we will respect your preferences for how you would like us to manage communications with you.
You can opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us at any time by contacting us. If you attend our events or activities, we will still need to send you non-promotional communications, like subscription reminder emails.
Subject to certain exemptions, and in some cases dependent upon the processing activity we are undertaking, you have certain rights in relation to your personal information.
- You have a right to request that we provide you with a copy of your personal data we hold
- You have a right to request that we correct inaccurate personal information
- You have the right to request we erase your personal information where: it is no longer needed for the purpose it was collected; where earlier provided consent is now withdrawn; it has been processed unlawfully
- You have a right to object to how we process or use your personal information where it does not conflict with our legitimate interests or legal obligations
- You have a right to onject to how we use your personal information for direct marketing, and can request we change the manner in which we contact you for marketing purposes
Please note that we may still use any aggregated and de-identified personal information that does not identify any individual, and may also retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.